If you suffer from dry eye, you may have sought treatment with limited results. At Moore Eye Clinic, we find the underlying problem and treat it rather than just treating the symptoms with artificial tears. Once the type of Dry Eye is determined there are multiple ways to treat the condition including:
- Prescription eye drops – Restasis and Xiidra
- Oral supplements
- Eyelid hygiene routines
- Lid Warming Masks
- Autologus Serum Tears
- Punctal Occulsion
- Tear Substitutes
Evaporative Dry Eye or Meibomian Gland Dysfunction
One of the most common forms of “dry eye” is called “evaporative dry eye.” This is a condition in which the tears evaporate more quickly due to a reduced level of oil in tears to lubricate the eyes. Called Meibomian Gland Dysfunction, or MGD, this condition could be the result of a block in the gland in the eyelids that produces this critical oil. LipiFlow is a groundbreaking treatment that restores the function of these glands, and takes only moments to perform.
How the LipiFlow System Works
The innovative LipiFlow system works by combining heat with massage to liquefy blockages in the oil-producing gland. It is a non-invasive treatment that has been found to produce impressive results for many clients suffering from dry eye. The procedure itself involves placing a small eye-shaped piece over the surface of the eye. The piece emanates heat towards the eyelids while protecting the eye itself. The device has an added piece which pulsates, squeezing the lids to open a blocked oil gland.
What to Expect: The LipiFlow Treatment
Prior to your LipiFlow treatment, you will be required to do the following:
- If you wear contact lenses, they must be removed at least four hours before your treatment.
- No artificial “tears” or any type of eyedrops can be applied 24 hours before treatment.
- No eyelid ointments or creams can be applied 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Other oil-based prescription medications (such as Restasis) cannot be applied 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- You will have to avoid swimming in a chlorinated pool at least 12 hours before your appointment.
For women, all makeup must be fully removed.:/www
The LipiFlow Treatment
The treatment is fast, and involves these steps:
- You will be comfortably resting on a reclining treatment chair. Your eyes will be numbed with mild anesthetic drops. Prior to treatment, you will have a quick treatment to remove any eye debris that has accumulated on the edges of your lids.
- The treatment device will be placed over your eye (or over both eyes) and you will close your eyes so the treatment can be initiated.
- The treatment begins and you will feel a warm sensation and a slight pressure on your lids. The procedure involves two six-minute cycles which include the heat emitting aspect, followed by pulsing and then pressure.
- This is essentially a pain-free procedure.
Benefits of LipiFlow for Dry Eye
This non-invasive, pain-free treatment has proven to be one of the most exciting and effective innovations to treat dry eye. The benefits include the following:
- Virtually painless
- Fast treatment – 12 minutes
If you are suffering the symptoms of dry eye and struggle to keep your eyes feeling comfortable, constantly adding eye drops or trying prescription medications to resolve the condition, you may be a candidate for LipiFlow. If your condition is related to insufficient oil to lubricate your eyes, this treatment has been established to be effective and can produce a dramatic improvement within about four weeks.